Monday, August 2, 2010

Floral Silk

Hi Friends, I wanted to thank all those who are following my blog and those who have added such kind comments. Over the weekend I finished a project from my stash of thrifted clothing. I wanted to share it with you today, but I worked too early this morning and just woke up from a nap, sooo I thought I would wait until I am showered and my hair is not sticking straight up. Anyways, I cut shortened the item and used the fabric for another project which I will share with you. I got my idea from many sources and those of you old enough may also remember these necklaces from the 80's. Here is my inspiration
                                                              www.shopruche.com

                                                            www.anthropologie.com

                                   I found this plastic bead necklace at Goodwill for $2.00.

                            I cut the necklace apart and cut fabric strips of a beautiful floral silk fabric.
To make this I tied a knot, then wrapped the fabric around the bead then tied another knot. Another way to ensure the bead stay in place is to fold the fabric in half and sew a seam, but I was feeling lazing and didn't do this.

I cut several petal shaped pieces, stitched them together in the middle and sewed them to a knot.

And here's how it turned out. I'm pretty pleased with it, although I cut the ends fairly short so i added a clasp. I think next time I will leave them longer so I can simply tie the fabric.

Thanks for stopping by,
Tonya

3 comments:

  1. I love DIY projects! <3

    -Dyanna Pure
    www.thesfstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, so I know you probably won't believe when I say that I made something....kind of like that...I know a craft, haha.

    I met up with a girl that I work with at the hospital one day for the kids to play and she told me to bring some wooden beads to make a necklace that she learned to make. We took a 16mm wooden bead and strips of fabric. We just used a glue stick and put it on the fabric, then rolled it on the wooden bead and took a crochet hook and pushed it into the end (the fabric was about 3" long and just over 1" wide). So the ends got pushed into the whole in the middle and you did this with about 10 beads. After the glue dries, you take ribbon and string it through and put a knot between each bead, then make it as long as you want and put a hook on the back. I did different colors of black and white with strips, dots, ect.. It turned out really cute.

    This necklace reminded me of it!

    And that is about the only thing I will be making anytime soon, but you are awesome!

    Alaina

    ReplyDelete
  3. That necklace sounds really cute. I would love to see it!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Leave me a comment.